Fire Safety Policy
Camblesforth CP School
2015 – 2016
We are a responsible establishment and take our fire safety duties seriously. For this reason we have formulated this policy to help us comply with our legal obligations to all building users including staff, pupils and visitors under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
These include the provision of a safe place of work where fire safety risks are minimised. Due to its importance, this fire safety policy also forms part of our overall health and safety policy.
All employees have a duty to take reasonable steps to ensure that they do not place themselves or others at risk of harm. They are also expected to cooperate fully with us in complying with any procedures that we may introduce as a measure to protect the safety and well-being of our staff and visitors.
We will keep staff informed of any changes that are made to our fire safety procedures and fire risk assessment. We will also ensure that all visitors to our premises are briefed in the evacuation procedures and not left alone unless they are aware of, and familiar with, all available escape routes.
We have introduced the following procedures in order to maintain high standards of fire safety
- A fire risk assessment has been undertaken which will be reviewed annually. However, more frequent reviews will occur if there are changes that will impact on its effectiveness. These may include alterations to the premises or new work processes.
- The fire evacuation procedures will be practised at least termly and documented.
- All new members of staff and temporary employees will be provided with induction training on how to raise the alarm and the available escape routes.
- All escape routes will be clearly signed and kept free from obstructions at all times.
- All fire-related equipment will be regularly serviced and maintained. If any employee notices defective or missing equipment, they must report it to the office staff or headteacher.
- Alarm systems will be tested regularly. This will take place outside the school day whenever possible. Should it be necessary to test the alarm during the school day, all staff will be informed in advance.
- Any other safety systems will be checked regularly to ensure correct operation, where necessary.
- In the event of an emergency a member of staff will call the fire brigade. This will usually be a member of the office staff or headteacher.
- In the event of the whole or part of the school becoming unusable, we will evacuate to Camblesforth Play Park as an initial meeting point and Camblesforth Chapel as soon as possible thereafter.
- This policy forms part of the employees’ conditions of employment. Failure to comply may be treated as a disciplinary matter.